Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Company: United States Army
Posted on: December 9, 2018
From groundbreaking work in regenerative medicine to the development of 3-D anatomical models to aid in surgical pre- and post-op planning, the advancements being pioneered by the U.S. Army Medical Department are improving outcomes for their patients and literally changing the practice of medicine. As an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and officer with Army Dental Corps, you'll work alongside experts in their field, using the most advanced procedures and techniques in practice today.
* Examine, diagnose and provide surgical, nonsurgical and adjunctive care for conditions involving disease, defect or injury to the functional and/or esthetic aspects of the hard and soft tissues of the head, mouth, teeth, gums, jaws and neck
* Conduct and supervise direct patient care, and plan and execute disease prevention and health promotion programs
* Exercise command of medical units as provided by law and regulation
* Perform special staff functions in health support for commanders at all levels
* Conduct medical research on diseases of military importance, and conduct, supervise and participate graduate medical education and training of other medical personnel needed to sustain a robust and readily available medical system
Unique duty positions include: oral and maxillofacial surgeon; training officer; program director, assistant program director, advanced specialty education program in oral and maxillofacial surgery; chief, surgery branch, dental research unit; oral and maxillofacial surgery consultant; office of the surgeon general; chief, Department of Dentistry; clinic chief; researcher, U.S. Army dental and trauma research detachment
* A Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Dental Medicine or a combination Doctor of Dental Surgery/Doctor of Medicine degree from an American Dental Association-accredited dental program in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or Canada
* Completion of an advanced specialty education program in oral and maxillofacial surgery that is accredited by the ADA and acceptable to the Surgeon General
* Between 21 and 42 years of age (may request a waiver, Locate A Recruiter for more information)
* License to practice dentistry
* Must be a U.S. citizen
* In addition to the above qualifications, permanent U.S. residency is required for Reserve duty officers.
In the Army Dental Corps, the case diversity you'll experience in caring for our service men and women far exceeds the medical care environment of the private sector. You'll have access to the most sophisticated technology and training, plus the opportunity to consult with experts in both the military and private sector.
Army Dental Corps officers must be leaders skilled in tactics, techniques and procedures in order to understand and support the Soldier; possess strong Army values, leader attributes and skills; and fully understand the key leadership actions that must be taken to ensure success.
The Army Dental Corps offers a broad spectrum of opportunities. Every officer learns and trains to be a fully capable team member, gaining expertise and experience in diverse specialties and skills. Dentists gain this knowledge through continuing medical education and experience sustained by mentoring, additional institutional training, continuous self-development and progressive levels of assignments within their specialty.
In addition to the many privileges that come with being an officer on the U.S. Army health care team, you'll be rewarded with:
* Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment
* Variable Special Pay
* Board Certified Pay
* Dental Additional Special Pay
* Dental Officer Multiyear Retention Bonus
* 30 days of paid vacation earned annually
* Noncontributory retirement benefits with 20 years of qualifying service
* No-cost or low-cost medical and dental care for you and your family
* Dental Corps Special Pay
* Health Professions Loan Repayment toward qualified dental school loans
* Noncontributory retirement benefits at age 60 with 20 years of qualifying service
* Low-cost life and dental insurance
* Travel opportunities, including humanitarian missions
Both active and Reserve duty officers enjoy commissary and post exchange shopping privileges; a flexible, portable retirement savings and investment plan similar to a 401(k); may receive pay for continuing education; and specialized training to become a leader in their field.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties. Visit Jobs in Demand to see if this job qualifies for an enlistment bonus.
Not only are surgeons paid as commissioned officers but they also are eligible to receive special pay incentives and take advantage of unique education benefits.
One of the many advantages of becoming a member of the U.S. Army Reserve health care team is that you'll be able to focus on patient care instead of school loans. By continuing to practice in your own community and serving when needed, you may qualify for dental HPLR to repay your dental school loans.
Future Civilian Careers
As you advance through your career, you will be looking for experiences that blend teaching, research and clinical excellence to best prepare you for unique and challenging opportunities. Our dental professionals excel in clinical, research and executive administration arenas. Many have worked in more than one career track throughout their time in the U.S. Army and have held leadership positions ahead of their private sector counterparts. In fact, U.S. Army dental professionals are highly desired candidates for competitive private sector jobs upon leaving the Army.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
* Johns Hopkins
* GE Healthcare
* Cleveland Clinic
* Mercy Medical Center
Keywords: United States Army, Vineland , Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, Healthcare , Vineland, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!